As an emerging writer, I’m happy to share some of the resources that have helped me progress in my creative writing. Here are a few of my favorites.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
— Melissa F. Kaelin
New! My Own Advice on the Art & Craft of Writing
After studying the subject for many years, I’ve begun to develop my own advice on the art and craft of writing. Follow me on Twitter for updates, or check back as these resources take shape!
Books on the Writing Craft
- Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott
- Story Trumps Structure, by Steven James
- Now Write!, by Sherry Ellis
- The Lie that Tells a Truth, by John Dufresne
- The Magic Words, by Cheryl B. Klein
- The Emotional Craft of Fiction, by Donald Maass
Online Mentors and Guides
Organizations, Websites and Other Resources
- 100 Best Websites for Writers, from The Write Life
- Writer’s Digest
- Poets & Writers
- The Loft Literary Center
Michigan Writers Groups
Though not an exhaustive list, hopefully these groups can lead you to find the right fit for critique and companionship. These groups are free to attend, unless otherwise noted.