Inkwell Open Mic and Reading Series: Featured Author
Melissa will be the featured author at the August session of the Inkwell Open Mic and Reading Series in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Join us! Inkwell Open Mic and Reading Series
7 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 14
Urban Artifact, Northside
Website: Inkwell Poetry Open Mic and Reading Series: Aug 14
The Aurora Summit
Secrets of the Goddess of the Dawn: Aurora Legends & Mythology
This conference is open to anyone with a passion for the Northern Lights or night photography. Hosted by Mike Shaw Photography, the workshop features a keynote speaker, a panel, and presentations on topics related to Aurora and the night sky. Melissa will give a talk Saturday, Nov. 2, on Secrets of the Goddess of the Dawn: Aurora Legends & Mythology.
Join us! Aurora Summit 19
Celebrating the Art, Culture, Science, and Photography of the Aurora Borealis
Friday, Nov. 1 – Sunday, Nov. 3, 2019
Open to the public with registration
The Good Tyme Writers Buffet & Potluck
7 p.m., Saturday, June 22
Public Pool Art Space
3309 Caniff Street
Hamtramck, Michigan 48212
Website: Tumblr Page
East Lansing Art Festival
Fiction 440, Flash Fiction Reading with Various Authors
3:00 p.m., Saturday, May 18, 2019
East Lansing, Michigan
Website: East Lansing Art Festival Performers
REO Town Reading Series
Fiction by M.F. Kaelin & Others
7:30 p.m., Thursday, May 30, 2019
Blue Owl Coffee
Website: REO Town Reading Series
The Palm Reader
“Fiction 440 Fosters Fun, Creativity”
Press Interview, May 2019
• Melissa was interviewed alongside many other flash fiction writers for a piece in The Palm Reader of Michigan. She will be presenting at the Fiction 440 event for the first time during their appearance at the East Lansing Art Festival.
Star Tribune Magazine
“Secrets to spotting the Northern Lights revealed at northern Minnesota gathering”
Press Interview, December 2018
• Melissa was interviewed alongside many other Aurora Chasers during Aurora Summit 18: Celebrating the Art, Culture, Science, and Photography of the Aurora Borealis. She co-founded the event with Dixie J. Burbank and Mike Shaw Photography.
Minnesota Monthly Magazine
“Winter Wonders: Rare and remarkable winter phenomena”
Cover Story, February 2016
• Melissa’s 10-page article on rare and remarkable winter phenomena was featured as the cover story for Minnesota Monthly in the February 2016 edition of the magazine. Coming up with a unique idea, Melissa pitched an essay to the editor on rare weather phenomena observed in northern winters, ranging from hoarfrost and frost flowers, to steam devils and light pillars. She also recommended the work of over a dozen photographers from Minnesota and Wisconsin, and 14 of those photographers were featured in the finished piece. Among the photos chosen for publication was her own image of sun dogs, after she captured the optical phenomenon on a point-and-shoot camera.
“Exploring Minnesota’s winter wonders”
TV News Spot, February 2016
• Melissa’s cover story for Minnesota Monthly and her photo of sun dogs were featured on KARE 11. The photo essay she pitched on rare and remarkable winter phenomena was inspired by incredible photos taken by many talented photographers in Minnesota and Wisconsin, ranging from hoarfrost and frost flowers, to steam devils and light pillars.
Lake County News Chronicle
“Aurora Summit Heading to Two Harbors”
Press Interview, October 2017
• Melissa was interviewed alongside other organizers before the launch of Aurora Summit 17: Celebrating the Art, Folklore, Science, and Photography of the Aurora Borealis. She helped to create and plan the event alongside Dixie J. Burbank and Mike Shaw Photography.
“Great Lakes Aurora Hunters seek out amazing shots of the Northern Lights”
Arts Blog, March 2016
• Melissa wrote an article on the Northern Lights in the Great Lakes region for the City Pages Arts Blog, featuring a local group where she played an active role. She has written many articles on photography and art for City Pages.
Rewire: Twin Cities Public Television
“Are You MN Enough? Great Lakes Aurora Hunters”
Documentary Short Interview, January 2015
• Interviewed for a short video documentary featuring the Great Lakes Aurora Hunters during their annual gathering in 2014. Here is the link to the Rewire website.
The Star Tribune
“Great Lakes northern lights hunters are a phenomenon all their own”
Press Interview, November 2015
• Melissa was interviewed for a feature on aurora hunters in the Outdoors section of the Star Tribune, covering Minneapolis and Saint Paul. Print edition titled “Caught in the Lights.”
Lavender Magazine: Arts Spotlight
Thirty Years of Hope: The Minnesota AIDS Project
Art Review, December 2013
• Melissa’s paintings were reviewed for the first time by John Townsend in Lavender Magazine.
“Melissa F. Kaelin’s majestic Sweet Raspberry Sunset is softly optimistic. Blackened natural objects on the earth’s surface stand with persevering will and hope as if calling on the universe, beguilingly and colorfully represented by the sky itself.
“The earthbound seem to be reaching for the healing power of a splendid, as opposed to an indifferent cosmos. In Kaelin’s view, it seems to be a cosmos where we can faithfully turn to at those times when we feel insignificant and hopeless.
“Her universe seems to have an overwhelming possibility so powerful that our humanness doesn’t quite yet have the ability to comprehend it. An invocation to cosmic healing energies that are hopefully finally returning to our ailing planet. Good news!”
The Madison Press
Press Interview, April 2013
“Brush strokes soothe grieving heart of former resident”
• Featured on the front page of The Madison Press, in London, Ohio, before participating in Art-A-Whirl 2013.