The Beginner’s Guide to Chasing the Aurora in the Great Lakes Region
New book! “Below the 45th Parallel: The Beginner’s Guide to Chasing the Aurora in the Great Lakes Region” will help you realize your dream of viewing the Northern Lights. Released in December, the guidebook is designed for those who are new to the adventure, with advice to help you beat the dozens of obstacles Aurora Chasers face.
This book will give you the tools you need to finally catch an Aurora display near your home, with advice from the Founder of the Michigan Aurora Chasers. With a deeply felt passion for the Aurora, Melissa F. Kaelin has helped hundreds of people see the Northern Lights for the first time,
The Digital Resource Guide
The guidebook includes access to the Digital Resource Guide, a companion piece to “Below the 45th Parallel.” View the guide for a variety of tips, tools and insights on the Northern Lights, including recommended apps, websites and explainers.
Upcoming Events for Aurora Chasers
As we head toward solar maximum in 2025, an extraordinary time for chasing the Aurora Borealis, there will be many opportunities to get involved and meet other Aurora Chasers. Take a look at some of the events coming up and join in. All are welcome!
- March 18, 2023: A Day of Aurora Chasing, featuring various presenters at The Katydid in Petoskey, Michigan. Tickets required.
- April 1, 2023: SOLD OUT — Michigan Aurora Chasers Workshop. Registration required.
- April 21-22, 2023: Upper Peninsula Dark Sky Festival, featuring various presenters. Tickets required.
- May 11, 2023: Chasing the Northern Lights Program and Book Signing, Ann Arbor District Library. Free and open to the public.
- November 3-5, 2023: Annual Aurora Summit, Celebrating the Art, Culture, Science and Photography of the Aurora Borealis. Registration launches in June.
You can also follow the Facebook page or hashtag for the book #Belowthe45thParallel.
Find out what it takes to catch the Northern Lights
Many conditions need to align to create the Northern Lights, not to mention local weather conditions and other wild cards like moon phases and city lights! Find out what it takes to catch the Aurora, while learning to understand and adjust for the many variables that come with each display.
This book will help you:
- Understand the 45th Parallel, why it’s significant, and how you can use it to your advantage.
- Find out what Kp is, why Kp matters — and when it doesn’t.
- Get proven advice on how to view colorful Aurora with the unaided eye at lower latitudes.
- Too many failed attempts? Learn what to do and what not to do.
- Use a checklist of all the things devoted Aurora Chasers do to get the shot in any conditions.
From the field guide you can carry with you to the resources for Aurora Forecasting, we’ve got you covered! This book is a must-have for any beginner in the lower 48 states or similar latitudes.
Now available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.com!
Run a search for the book or buy it using this direct link: https://www.amazon.com/Below-45th-Parallel-Beginners-Chasing/dp/B0BPW615L9
Bonus Content: The Missing Page
Due to a printing and formatting error, the bonus section on photography tips was cut off in the original edition of the book. Please feel free to download or view the rest of the bonus content here. My apologies for the inconvenience.