Updated July 6, 2020
Welcome to the Social Gap Experiment!
If you want to stir things up, join us for a social distancing experiment — and a creative project! During the global pandemic, we’ve shared comedy, confessions, and conversation. 😷🌎💞
Now, I invite you to share your creativity!
In June, I got on camera to make a scruffy stay-at-home announcement about the Social Gap Experiment, and a new publication where I’d like to feature your work. Watch the Facebook Video!
As promised, the Social Gap Experiment included a big announcement, or two!
- LIVE VIRTUAL EVENTS: A casual creative session will be hosted weekly during the summer of 2020! RSVP!
- PUBLICATION: We’ll compile and publish a chapbook of creative work, edited by Melissa F. Kaelin!
- SUPPORT: Proceeds from this project will be donated to a worthy cause.
One goal of this project is to give artists of many styles an informal venue to share their work, which is why we’re launching an effort to compile a chapbook.
Publishing a Chapbook
Great news! We’d like to publish a chapbook featuring your work! After we accept submissions, we plan to create a chapbook of poetry, fiction and more. The chapbook will be available online, and a printed edition will be available with print-on-demand options.
Because everyone is going virtual to protect against a global pandemic, we’re using social media to share news about the project. RSVP to get reminders!
We would welcome your submissions of poetry, flash fiction, short nonfiction, photography and art:
- Poetry (submit 1-3 poems)
- Flash fiction (fiction up to 800 words)
- Short stories or nonfiction (up to 2,000 words)
- Novel excerpts, with a title as if it were a short story (up to 2,000 words)
- Photography (high resolution, 300 dpi)*
- Art (high resolution, 300 dpi)*
Click the link below to submit your work. Please upload your piece by the deadline, Friday, July 31.
*If you submit photos or artwork, please send the images in the highest resolution possible. What you submit is what we will print, and print quality may vary with online and print-on-demand publication options.
Questions to Inspire Connection
This project is bigger than it looks, with the hope of making a meaningful impact through art. Here are a few questions to consider, especially if you want to get involved.
- What’s the best way for creative minds to connect during the global pandemic?
- When it comes to technology, what software do you prefer for video conferencing?
- If you had unlimited time and creative energy, what would you want to achieve by the end of the global pandemic?
- If these event(s) quickly became a fundraiser with the help of outside sources, what specific cause or organization would benefit most from donations?
- Is your best material ready for publication?
- Are you interested in publishing your work, whether photography, art or writing, in a compilation that could be listed on Amazon?
🔥 Get your short submission ready to submit! Please check back for more context and details, as the project evolves! 🔥
Launching the Experiment
When we wanted to stir things up, some of you joined me for a social distancing experiment — and a big announcement!
It all began with a social media event on Facebook Live on Thursday, June 25, 2020, at 7pm EST. We went in expecting a bit of comedy, confessions, commiserating, conversation and creativity. We came out understanding a lot more about the limits of social media. But the project continues! 😷🌎💞
The launch event included:
- A surprise announcement!
- Featured guests
- A live social media video experiment
- Poll questions and inspirational prompts
- Banter and laughs on quarantine & social distancing
- At least one news item about publication
- A chance to decompress with other humans
- Readings of fiction and poetry
- Opportunities to share your story and/or your work